Monday 6 June 2011

Picture of the month | May 2011


I had been looking forward to May for a while mainly due to a planned return to the Scottish Highlands to capture images of the splendour of the Cairngorms National Park for a forthcoming book to be published by Halsgrove.  The weather at the start of the month was simply fantastic so imagine my dismay when the forecast for my planned visit was simply horrific.  Unfortunately work and home commitments meant that I was unable to reschedule the trip so there was only one decision to make - To cancel the trip or go ahead and hope for the best.

It can be so easy to get disillusioned with a trip when you find yourself sitting in a tent with rain battering on the canvas.  OK, modern technology like my newly purchased iPad means that I can continue to work but when you are in a location like the Cairngorms it seems an almost criminal action to do. I was there to make images and although poor weather can really hamper the image making process, it can also provide some outstanding natural lighting that can simply not be found at any other time.

In between hiding behind bushes to shelter from the wind and constant wiping of the front element of my lens to remove raindrops, I managed to create some memorable images that I feel convey the emotion of trip perfectly.

Typically is was on the drive home to Northumberland when the weather began to improve. Consistent sunny spells with occasional light showers created the perfect environment for rainbows to appear.  Unfortunately I was driving down the A1 through the Scottish Borders when the rainbow pictured here magically appeared.  At first it was a perfect ark above the border landscape yet however hard I looked I could not find a suitable viewpoint to do it justice.  I continued to drive and as the last rays of the setting sun started to paint the clouds a magical orange glow, I managed to reach the small village of Burnmouth.

Time was running out. I had followed this rainbow for nearly 20 miles but by now the sun had nearly disappeared below the horizon. I had little choice other than to fit my 70-200mm zoom lens and create a composition around the rainbow itself.  I decided to keep a slim slither of the North Sea mainly to enable a sense of belonging and place for the rainbow.  I took this shot and then it was over. The rainbow disappeared in front of my eyes.  But I had the shot of the trip.