Friday 10 June 2011

Monochrome Returns


Nearly fifteen years ago I attended my first every photography class.  At that time I had no desire to become a professional photographer, or even shoot colour, all I wanted to do was to learn how to photograph and print good black and white pictures.  There was absolutely no hint at that time of how my life would unfold to set me on the path to become what I am now. I knew nothing about f-stops and honestly had sweaty palpitations when somebody asked me an awkward question like what is the filter thread size on my SLR.  What SLR? This all began with a simple point and shoot, compact film camera.

Before I knew it I had my first rangefinder and then first SLR. I continued to shoot black and white although i did use colour for my first overseas trip to Mexico. As I took more pictures and also began to travel more, colour started to become the logical choice. I started reading more books and started to appreciate what could be done with colour transparency film, I began to see that colour work could actually be considered as a creative art with the added bonus that it could also be sold to magazines, which actually helped to fund my early trips away. Gradually and really without me noticing, I began making and marketing images as a profession - and there wasn't a roll of black and white film in sight.

This continued for a decade but something started to change a couple of years ago. After an extensive period of capturing images for a number of Halsgrove books, I started to become despondent. I started to begin questioning why I had become a photographer. Did i have anything left to say through the medium. I had to learn how to enjoy my craft again.

These events coincided with the recent resurgence of interest in black and white photography, probably mainly due to the sudden convenience of obtaining these shots in the world of digital.  No more loading films in the darkroom surrounded by the unpleasant aroma of processing chemicals, now shots can be captured on a digital camera and loaded onto your home computer. With the additional convenience that you can even print the image at home. And the prints can be very, very good.

I now still mainly shoot colour images but black and white does play a huge part in satisfying my creative urges.  Currently I am working on my first e-book which also happens to be my first entirely black and white project. Entitled 'Black Light' it contains a portfolio of images from different stages throughout my career - Some film but mainly digitally captured shots, processed with the care that I gave to my darkroom prints all of those years ago. Over the next few weeks through the website I will be sharing some of the techniques used to create these images, as well as some of the stories regarding the events behind the camera.  In the meantime here are a few shots to wet your appetite.